Massage therapy is the manual manipulation of soft body tissues such as muscles, connective tissue, tendons and ligaments. There are a dozen types of massage therapy methods or modalities.
The main types of massages include:
- Swedish/relaxation massage: a gentle massage that uses long strokes, kneading, deep circular movements, vibration and tapping to relax and energize you.
- Deep tissue massage: This technique uses slower, more forceful strokes to target the deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue, commonly to help muscle damage from injuries.
Massage is generally considered to be an alternative or complementary medicine. Studies have demonstrated that it is an effective treatment for reducing stress, pain and muscle tension. While more research is needed to confirm the benefits of massage, some studies have found massage may also be helpful for:
- Digestive disorders
- Insomnia related to stress
- Myofascial pain syndrome
- Soft tissues strains or injuries
- Sports injuries
- Temporomandibular joint pain
Massage can be a powerful tool to help you take charge of your health and well-being, whether you have a specific health condition or are just looking for another stress reliever. It is also very complementary to other forms of treatment such as chiropractic, physiotherapy, acupuncture, etc.
Contact Us Now To See How We Can Help